Tuesday, March 17, 2009

As you can tell I'm back. I must interject a new parameter to the therapy. shortly after the knee surgery I had to have my left ear cut off; during the surgery Dr. Hunter, who is a great plastic surgeon and a great human being, had a conference with Jeri and told her that he was having a problem saving my ear; the only way to save it was for him to remove all of the cancer that he could and then have radiation to remove what was left. He and Jeri decided that would be the best thing to do but of course I didn't have much to say about as he had already hit me with a dose of la la land. I went to Dr. Thomson, at the LDS hospital, who had married into a Delta family, who was a radiation expert, and indeed he is. I had to go radiation three times a week so we coordinated these sessions so we could go to them on our way to Murray for therapy. On the first day Dr. Thomson and a technician made a gizmo that fit my ear and only exposed the area that needed to be radiated. One the first session I was laid on one of those beds that all hospitals have, which are made of the hardest substance that is available. I asked the technician how long the session would take and she told me one minute and 13 seconds; not one second less or one second more. Now he is the rub to this event. I had to lay on my right side so they could get to the left ear, which meant I had to rest my left knee on top of my right knee; now you know I am very gentle so in a gentle way I made a comment to the tech that it hurt my knee so she quickly got a pillow to put between my knees, which was a very good thing. I did this regimen for the next five weeks. Oh, by the way, when I went back to Dr. Hunter I told him that if this radiation thing didn't work I wanted to at least save the lobe of the ear so I would have a place to put the diamond stud that my grand kids would buy for me.:) A month-or- two ago I went to see Dr. Thomson for a final exam and he said he could not see any evidence of cancer, which was a really great thing.
After I was through with the therapy, Jeri and I went to East Canyon for the summer. It was a very interesting summer. I had the maintenance crew bring the trailer to the spot we were going to start the summer in, which was spot that other owners don't like so we got to stay there for about 6 weeks and then we had to move. Dave WeWee; a member of the crew was very good to help me, if he hadn't helped me would have had to leave the resort, and others owners were really good to help also. I wore-out a electric hot pad during the summer and I got a lot of help putting up the satellite dish. We stayed at the resort until November sixth and then we moved into Mike and Patrice's. It was a remarkable summer to say the least. I finally had my last visit with Dr. Samuelson and he said I was doing very well and wanted to schedule a time for the right knee but I told him "no thanks."

4 comments:

  1. I loved the 'no thanks' comment! lol How did you wear out the hot pad? Aren't you glad it is this year right now and not last...that you're past the really bad stuff? Hard to believe it has been a year...I know, not for you! BTW, I'm coming to see you two tomorrow, so get prepared! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya...make sure you put the knick-knacks up high...Lee's coming to visit! :) Are you really sure you don't want to have the right knee done? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutly sure that I don't want to have the right knee done or even the wrong knee done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for the hot pad I slept with it around my knee almost every night and the wear and tear, as I squirmed around it made it so it wouldn't work anymore.

    ReplyDelete