Saturday, November 14, 2009

Today was a nasty day, weather wise. When I left to go to the hospital it was snowing and it seemed it kind of snowed most of the day, however, it didn't stick to the road or sidewalks. About noon I headed out to get some lunch and as I was leaving Lee came to see Jeri and shortly after I left Mike and Patrice showed up and all of them were still there when I got back to the hospital, and they stayed and visited for a short time and then they left to do other things on this Saturday. I asked Jeri if the visitors and and all of the talking 'wore her out' and she said "no; it is really good to talk to visitors as long as they are family and I can participate when I want to and don't feel like I have to entertain them."
After they left Jeri and I went for a walk around the facility and when we went past the therapy area Bob (a very good therapist) was there so Jeri decided she wanted to stop and have Bob help her for a while. After a few times getting her up on her legs; it is a wonder to me how these people know what to do to strengthen muscles I didn't know we have. After a few minutes he had her walking down the hall and she walked 120 feet, which doesn't sound like much but it was a great distance for her; I think she feels safe as long as he is by her and has his hand on her gait belt (which is a belt that goes around the waist so someone can help hold her up if she starts to fall), I am hopeful that she will be home in a week or two. I think she is getting stronger every day.
When I got to the hospital this morning I asked her how her night was and she said it was the best she has had in a long time, which warmed the cockles of my heart. When I left last night I thought her spirit's were down and that she was unhappy, which made me unhappy but it seems that I didn't read her mood very well, but then that is not an uncommon thing in our lives.
When I left shortly after five she was looking and acting like she was having a good evening; I pray she has a really good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment